At Transmit Startups, we have looked at 1,000 of our loan recipients to find out what Scotland start-up businesses and Scotland's entrepreneurial landscape looks like.
19% of all of the loans applications that we receive come from Scotland. To date, we have lent £1,801,703 to entrepreneurs across Scotland to help them make their business dreams become a reality.
To celebrate reaching the 1,000 loans milestone, we’ve compiled data from our first 1,000 loan recipients to paint the picture of what we have found the entrepreneurial environment in Scotland to look like.
From Highland to Dumfries & Galloway, take a look at our infographic below that paints the picture.
Simply click the image to enlarge and download the PDF version or alternatively, click here.
What does the typical Scotland StartUp loan recipient look like?
Average loan recipient:
– Aged: 37
– Sector: Retail
– Star sign: Aeries
Quick-fire Scotland Loan Recipient Facts:
1. Our oldest loan recipient is 74 years old
2. Our youngest loan recipient is 19 years old
3. Our average loan term is 60 months
4. 71% of loan recipients are becoming their own boss after being in full-time employment
5. 15% are starting their own business after being unemployed for a period of time
6. The most entrepreneurial star signs are: Aries, Cancer, Gemini, Pisces, Libra
7. Our largest loan value is £25,000
8. Our smallest loan value is £1,000
9. Average loan value: £9,533
10. Of all of our entrepreneurs, the most common female entrepreneur name was: Victoria
11. Of all of our entrepreneurs, the most common male entrepreneur name was: David
12. Gender split: 41% female, 59% male
13. Top 5 sectors: Retail, Food & Drink, Creative, Web, Professional Services.
Local Authority break down:
- Highland: 5%
- Moray: 0%
- Aberdeenshire: 4%
- Angus: 2%
- Perth and Kinross: 1%
- Dundee City: 5%
- Fife: 1%
- Clackmannanshire: 0%
- Stirling: 0%
- Argyll and Bute: 1%
- North Ayrshire: 4%
- East Ayrshire: 2%
- South Ayreshire: 1%
- Dumfries and Galloway: 1%
- Scottish Borders: 3%
- South Lanarkshire: 3%
- Midlothian: 4%
- East Lothian: 1%
- West Dumbartonshire: 1%
- East Dumbartonshire: 3%
- North Lanarkshire: 4%
- Falkirk: 2%
- West Lothian: 3%
- City of Edinburgh: 21%
- Inverclyde: 2%
- Renfrewshire: 3%
- Glasgow City: 26%
- East Renfrewshire: 3%
To follow the entrepreneurial journeys of our Scotland startup loan recipients, follow our #1000StartUpLoans hashtag on Twitter, follow us or Tweet us @TransmitStartUp.
To apply for a start-up loan, visit our registration page here: Register for a Start-Up Loan.